Ritika Mittal's MORA

Tuesday, November 23, 2010

The reason I don't feature clothes or fashion on this blog is that I'm not really into it, it is not my area of expertise and I just don't know or feel for it enough. But seeing MORA stopped me in my tracks. I WANTED. This was me. I don't wear sarees often, nor do I wear salwar kameezes too much and maybe that was because I didn't like the stuff I got to buy too much. But this was brilliance. I saw MORA on fellow blogger's space Sound Horn Please and I HAD to know who was making this and more. The links led to an email requesting a permission to be featured on 'artnlight' and then I saw the phone number and called Ritika Mittal, cause I just couldn't wait. Ritika was in a remote village near Bhubneshwar, which has no electricity and I realised my call was eating into the precious battery time on her cellphone. Nevertheless, we connected like I had known her for years and we had a brilliant conversation peppered with a lot of laughter. Her passion for her work takes her to the villages of India, where she stays and works with the artisans to create her sarees for months on end. She told me she has to travel for an hour to get to a point where she could charge her cell phone. What kind of passion and committment does it take to live like this?
MORA's story began with a refusal - Ritika completely refused to wear the regular sequinned bling for her own wedding and insisted on wearing mulmul (mulmul is a kind of fine cotton & her mom froke)and she went on to design her own trousseau, there on, there was no looking back, needless to say the sarees were a hit and Mora was born. Mora means 'mine' in hindi & "It embodies the essence of the one who wears it." Seeing Ritikas work and knowing what little I do of her makes one thing clear, which is that she dances into places angels fear to tread on. And if she breaks a few rules while doing so, so be it. So Chanderi will be mixed with khand and mulmul will meet mushru (different fabrics from different parts of India) with stunning results. Presenting Ritika Mittal's Mora.

MORA SAREES

"Each MORA creation is an individually produced labour of love. Since no two individuals are exactly alike, no two MORA creations are same. MORA travels all over India to source out the finest fabrics and collages them to create a mesmerizing interface between tradition and modernity. Which is why the MORA piece that you own is yours alone." Ritika Mittal




MORA DUPATTAS
Dupatta is a long, multi-purpose scarf that is essential to many South Asian women's suits and matches the woman's garments.


Ritika has a keen eye for photography and it would be a pity if I didn't share a spot of that with you.
Those interested could also read her thought provoking blog here.
The most important question is how to buy Mora stuff & for that you need to contact Ritika through her website.

You Might Also Like

18 comments

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images