Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Beautiful Homes

There is something about visiting a well put together home. And as decor enthusiasts, no one can understand this better than us :) Through the years there have been many such spaces that I have seen and been inspired by. And I thought it might be a great idea to share such homes with you. The 1st in this series is going to be Reshom Majumdar's place. Reshom and I go back a long way & she is responsible for starting in me what later grew into a complete decor obsession. Her sense of style is unfailingly elegant and understated.

Im very glad i called her when i did for this feature, she told me to quickly take the pictures cause she was changing the decor. So we both agreed its a great idea to capture it for posterity :) and here it is. And yes, that means you all also get to see how it looks after she has redone it all :)
'Lokhir sora' from Bengal, lamps from 'Good Earth' and 'Auhona' (Reshoms daughter's name) announce that this will be an interesting space.

The 1st glimse of her Living room. Pretty plants dot the windows through which the light streams in.



The 'Shiva' from Bali. This is my favourite piece in a house filled with pretty things in every corner.




Note the Shakti Burman painting and a classic suspended glass bowl.




Reshom's piano that came from her Calcutta home.

Antique teak wood chairs below a painting done by Reshom's mother who is an artiste in her own right.



The other end of the hall that faces the windows. Reshom and her husband Basab Majumdar are voratious readers. Note the 2 panels that have been cut out of the wall to make 2 bookshelves.



Framed on the wall are broadway & film publicity posters &Tintin covers




More bengal antique furniture- teak sideboard. Isn't this piece beautiful?


Her love for art is evident in this 'Durga and ganesh' painting by Siddhant Ghosh, framed bengal folk art & the the Jamini Roy print.


Telephone stands needn't be boring. This one holds a pretty glass bowl with flowers and candles.


Ceramic plates which the couple have collected from across Europe & France.


The bedroom in soothing shades of blue. The bed is an antique teak wood piece.

Its all in the details.



Tucked into the back of the bedroom is this cozy balcony which which holds a dressing table at one end and a book shelf at the other.



The sunny-happy rest-room




Auhona's cheery pink and yellow bedroom


And cheerier bath. Reshom has stencilled shells & sea creatures onto the door to complete its marine theme. The tiles and the shower curtains are all 'fishy' :)

13 comments:

Anrosh said...

The furniture pieces are fundamental - the dark wood ones.

Vintia said...

Hi Vineeta,
great post.. you have done a great job of taking pictures and making small notes so that reader is able to look ata every nook and corner. WHere is the kitchen and the pooja corner? Is it coming in the next post?
Vinita

Peggy said...

Vineeta,
What a yummy post! Thank you for sharing this lovely home. How exciting that we will get to see a before and after.

As you can probably guess, I am completely in love with the Durga and Ganesh painting by Ghosh. Beautiful. And the fabrics in the pillows. Beautiful.

I am noticing that suspended glass bowls are a recurring theme in the decor you show. Is this an Indian motif? Very beautiful. Most look great at night.

Also, can you tell me what is a pooja corner?

vineeta said...

Anrosh, vinita & peggy, thanx :)
Vinita, I haven't taken any pics of her Kitchen. I will the next time around :)
Peggy, more than an Indian motif, It a common feature in Indian decor. Im not sure of its origins. But will check & maybe even post on it in the future.
And a pooja corner, is a corner where we do our prayers, it normally has photographs/idols of Indian gods and a lamp. Since we are a fairly religious country, its a common feature in most homes. 'Pooja' means prayers in Hindi- the national language.

Arch said...

I absolutely love taking a peek into people's home...'lived in' homes.
( Not that I don't enjoy the rooms shown in magazines;-)

Some thing very nice abt this space...I love the natural light & balconies with plants!!

Bhavna said...

Beautiful post Vineeta, and a great idea! Looking forward to more 'real' homes on your blog... :)

vineeta said...

Thanx Bhavna, Its fun for me as well, Im now on the lookout for interesting homes. Im aiming for one such post a week- lets see, if that doesn't happen- then it will just have to be as often as i can :)

Saji said...

Good taste !!
I have saved your blog to my favourites, will "steal" some of these as and when I rennovate my old house back in Kerala.
Do post more of traditional houses.

Did you come across photos of a house called "Dar Khalifa" (the Caliph's house) in Casablanca ?
Saji.

Arjun said...

any idea where can I find the Durga & Ganesh print by Siddhant Ghosh ?

Neha said...

As an Indian living abroad, it's soo exciting for me to get a peek into other indians' homes, and get inspiration from the decor too !! Thanks for this series...So that I don't get too obssesive about it and to save the excitement - I am going to look at one home per day...Thanks Vineetha.

Room Lighting said...

I think I am missing some of the lighting fixtures but the lights featured in the first picture is nice.

sanhita said...

hi, happened to just bumped into your blog...just amazing collection of homes!! but a slight correction needed, the durga and ganesh painting has been done by Siddharth Ghosh and not Siddhant Ghosh.

thanks!!

My World said...

Hello Vinita,

This is my first time at your blog and I am totally in love.
I know the focus of your blog and work is decor. But could you post some pictures of kitchen and bedrooms. I am looking for some ideas to do up my home, I am particularly stuck where storage is concerned. Or if you could please give me some links. I am bored of plasticky catalogues that have no life in them and want to look at some 'real' homes.
Thanks