Monday, December 15, 2008

Artistry in the Junagad Fort, Bikaner

There was so much artistry in the Junagad fort/palace at Bikaner that it truly deserves another post. Every surface, be it the walls, the doors, the ceilings or the floor, was a canvas for the hugely talented artisans who worked with vegetable dyes and gold.
Gold paint and vegetable dyes on marble.
Walls and the door are filled with depictions of bounty
This floor alternates Indian and Italian tiles
Here is the door at the side of the RangMahal depicting folklore in the miniature painting style.
Marble columns frame an elaborately painted door.
Intricately carved wooden doors inset in marble
Bowls of fruit adorn this door. The extensive use of fruit is characteristic of Junagad artistry.
A closeup of the door
Alternate panels of red & brown make this door interesting.
Above the door
But the ceilings really stole the show

A symbolic Sun looks down the ceiling benevolently.

19 comments:

nikheel said...

Super! after seeing these, I feel so glad/proud that I live in such "Rich" country...thanks for sharing these snaps...your blog is excellent visual treat...keep blogging!!

megha punater said...

beautiful vineeta

Pea said...

wow..beautiful pictures!Thanks for the visual treat!

DesignFlute said...

So less we know about our own country! Didn't know there is a Junagad in Bikaner (know only Junagadh in Gujarat)!

beautiful posts! Need to keep our heritage documented!

vineeta said...

nikheel, yes, much to be proud of isn't it? And I took a quick looka tyour blog, some very beautiful calligraphy!

Rekha said...

Lovely pics, great designs...just shows the creativity and imagination of the artisans.

~mE said...

Stunning pictures!
I am planning my trip :)

vineeta said...

meghna, Thanx, I had a ball there.

Pea, you are welcome. Just sharing what i saw.

vineeta said...

Designflute, the fort is called Junagad. Yes, there is just SOO much to our country. Nice to see u here :)

vineeta said...

Rekha, that is what strikes me, we come from a very strong artistic & design heritage.

vineeta said...

Sharanya, you MUST!!!! You will sooo love it. I'm so happy you are going!! :)

indian yarn said...

Hail the artists ..and no wonder - it is called: raj-a-sthan - place of/for the kings ?
i can never get enough how much ever i see such things

vineeta said...

Indian yarn, well said :) it is indeed Raj-a-sthan :) And like you I never get enough & so keep going back for more.

bindu said...

These doors are gorgeous beyond belief!

Parinda said...

I so love ur blog. I love our countryscapes and after seeing ur blog i love them more. :)

vineeta said...

Bindu, you bet, I was clicking like my life depended on it. Each door was different & incredible in detail.

vineeta said...

Parinda, thanx much! I love it when my friends leave comments! it is such a kick. You bet, there is nothing i'd love, better than travelling this country :)

Web Hosting said...

This is really very beautiful, such a nice design.

Corners and moments said...

I'd love love love to travel in India. In the meantime, such a pleasure to see it from your eyes. You can see some of Australia through my eyes on my blog. Would love to have you over. :) x