Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Prashant Varma's Lamp

Very excitedly sharing with you this gorgeous piece of lighting with you. I knew all the limitless photoviewing and liking and commenting would come to some use some day. Today is that day. I happened to chance upon this piece of art and it was a BOOM moment. What was this??!!! I immediately shot a message to Prashant Varma my 'FB friend' (meaning, apart from FB I don't know Prashant at all) and creator. I asked for a description for this stunner and how he went about making it. Yes. This. Is. Hand made :) And he calls it Flourescentism.
This is what he has to say about this beautiful work of art.
"On festivals I like to keep things close to nature so this Diwali I just thought of making a new lamp. The idea came out of pure need. So I just went through things I have collected over the time and I found this palm tree hoop perfect for the lamp. To contrast to its natural texture and long structure and to add the festive mood I introduced florescent vertical reflective colour strips in the inside. Topped it with circular gold stickers. It shoots light in 180 degrees & illuminates the inside core with glittering colour & gold." Prashant Varma

What I love about Prashant's work is its tactile quality, and the beautiful and unexpected mix of graphic shapes & colours  with completely natural and unassuming textures.
This is so doable and yet SO stylish. Prashant's work is a great example of how much beauty simple experimentation can bring in our daily life as long as we are willing to try it.
This kind of work is very important because it is not done for any commercial purpose but for pure joy. It is an extension of the maker and it is just being and doing and expressing who one is. That this can further be leveraged to produce a profitable line of products comes later. The heart and the source is pure. Like all things creative. It is play.  And its so so important to play. For no reason and to no end.

13 comments:

pRiyA said...

You hit the nail on the head when you said 'the heart and the source is pure'. I know this guy. His work is a reflection of who he is. Some of his creations are pure bliss to behold for the very reasons you've written.
I am so glad you've featured him Vineeta. He deserves it.

vineeta said...

Priya, after seeing the lamp - how could I not feature? :) :)

papers said...

I m finding it hard what to say, m already breathless, Vineeta...thanks a ton for such kindness. I never thought of this altogether. Your description is beautiful, it has added a lot of dimension to my work. I am very great full to you, this has encouraged me a lot. More good work will be on a roll ;) Thank you very much, Plz keep on the light ;)

papers said...

Priya had been the key source for some good thrashing & encouragement. I wish to keep getting guidance from you both & I shall keep doing good work. Hearth fully thank you, u hv started something good within me ;)

John said...

Wonderful Lamps and other things. All are just wonderful artifacts. I celebrated this Diwali without fire and crackers.

packers movers delhi

TaNuja said...

The lamp is so beautiful :)

kranthi P said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
papers said...

Thank you John for appreciation the work. Same here, peaceful diwali feels great & heart warming.

papers said...

The beauty is in the eyes of the beholder, thank you Tanuja.

Prachee said...

Have not come across something as brilliant as this......that lamp is just out of the world. Thanks for sharing Vineeta :)

Dithi said...

Brilliant! Am inspired :)! Thank you Vineeta for sharing this, LOVE the colours and textures and the shapes that have come to play ...admire how nature has been brought to a subtle, simple yet very elegant and smart design.. super stuff!!!!

VaRaDHa said...

I happened to chance
upon this piece of art and it
was a BOOM moment. What
was this??

http://moviethandura.blogspot.com

papers said...

Dithi your analysis is amazing, I learnt things that I might not hv even thought of while making the craft consciously. Thank you very much for such an insightful appreciation.