Sunday, December 12, 2010

The craft stalls of Hornbill Festival

The Naga's are highly skilled people. The way they weave and the myraid ways in which they use bamboo is ample evidence of this fact. The other things that the naga's are so famous for is their colourful bright & bold beaded jewellery. Taking you through a quick tour of the craft stalls at the Hornbill festival. It is not often that one gets to see so much new stuff in one go. And as is ones habit, you always end up comparing what you see to all that you have known as crafts from other parts of India & both the similarities and the differences amaze you.
loved the human pyramid totem.
The Naga's have a way with wood.

ba

this reminds me so much of the basketry in Kerala.

I was just asking how much it was for and she so readily modelled the jewellery, this was a set, and she quickly wore all of it to show me. Sometimes language barriers have their advantages :)
I picked up one of these earrings worn by the AO naga tribe. They are stunning arent they?


The famous thick Naga weaves. The patters are almost all geometric in bold colours. Mostly red, black with a touch of grey or white.



Perhaps the only few flowers you will see on this blog. Loved the skill with which the women had made these flowers - so beautiful.

with dried twiggs and seeds.

I envy Ritika who is travelling to each of these places. Sigh...

12 comments:

? said...

Drooling, drooling and drooling all the way Vineeta! To visit India during this time!
This has been one of the favourite post-series in your blog!

Dithi said...

Just went through all three Hornbill posts, drooling over the images and so inspired to go there, this is so close to (Kol)home and a must-see. I have been reading about it from Ritika, thanks Vineeta for sharing these visuals from your trip, brilliant captures! Is it a one-day thing(I read 1st Dec) every year - hope to be there next year...

Also, I went to this rural handicraft fair in Kol yesterday and am back with colourful stall pics, so totally identified with this post.

Love and hugs...

SuhaelAmrita said...

Amazing stuff! Goat hair earings...hearing of this one for the first time. The neclace in flaming orange is to die for!

As I keep reading of your visit I am feeling awe struck beyond imagination. This is one part of the country which is so untouched. Perhaps that's why it is still so rich in its culture!

GB said...

Oh beautiful! Love the grain map--how cool is that?

Sound Horn Please said...

Drool fest! I hope I get to go someday!

Cynthia said...

Wow! Such beautiful color! And I learned a little bit about the Naga's. Furthermore, I do a lot of artwork with inspiration derived from lots of color, geometry and the like. Your photos and ideas inspire me. :)

Plum Tree Blossoms said...

Hello!!
I have been reading your blog almost everyday for the past 2 years now. I love your compositions and the generous spalsh of colour in your blog. I belong to the Northeastern region of India. I loved the piece on Nagaland.

If you do visit the Northeast again, do try and visit Razhu Pru, a heritage cottage from the WW II era (which has been converted to a hotel) in Kohima. You should also visit Ri Kynjai, enroute to Shillong (http://rikynjai.com/) and the Diphlu River Lodge (http://www.assambengalnavigation.com/diphlu.htm) in Kaziranga, or the many old tea planter bungalows in upper Assam!

Warm regards,
Triveni

Kamini said...

What lovely stuff and what amazing talent lies hidden in the NE! Goat hair earrings? Really/ Wow.I envy your being able to go and see all this!

vineeta said...

Dithi, thanx so much!! You must go!!
Hornbill is a weeklong festival & mosrtly happens between 1st to the 7th of December every year. waiting for yr post, let me hop across to yr blog.

vineeta said...

Triveni, thank you so much for leaving a comment or I'd never know you :) and thanx for the links! Infact I ment the owner of razhu pru & will make a small post about it. Thankx for the lovely sites & info. I will go over there the next time :)

Maria Dermengiu said...

lovely accessoires! wonderful post Vineeta! you enrich our minds with great new things all the time! hugs, Maria

nami said...

i love the shawls and the handmade flowers! thank you for sharing these vineeta :) its always insightful seeing your blog