A cool happy home in Finland

Sunday, November 14, 2010

After a long time cool colours on this blog :) I have been a follower of Jutta's super-cool blog Kootut Murut for a while now. I love the way she involves and includes her readers in the decorating projects she undertakes in her gorgeous home. Jutta is a freelance graphic designer and you can see her work at her spanking new website. What I love about her home is how quirky it is and when I asked her about her design philosophy or what was important for her when she put together her home, she said "I guess one of the most important things for us, my husband and I, is that we try to listen to the spirit of the house. It was built in 1956, which is considered quite old where I live. So we want to respect the history of the house. When renovating, we try to preserve as much of the old as we can. We love to shop around thrift stores and flea markets, and some of my favorite pieces are actually hand-me-downs we got for free. Old furniture has so much more character, PLUS it's very budget-friendly (not to mention eco-friendly)"

Jutta's home has a unique quality- it is striking and soothing at the same time.

The red piece of brilliance with a jewel like countenance is a stool 'Stone' by Kartell.
Look at this cool piece of transformation. This link will give you a blow by blow account of how she went about it.
This wall paper has to be one of the most beautiful ones I have seen on the net by far.

That beautiful ornament hanging above the bed is a project made by Jutta for the Gifted magazine

Not only is she great at graphic design & decor, but she also makes things like red currant juice- now how gifted is she!
What I love best are her table top arrangements. She puts together seemingly incongruous things to acheive that right balance between drama and harmony.

"I don't think that decorating should be taken too seriously. I want our home to be fun and to look like us. Because we don't take ourselves too seriously either :)" Jutta of Kootut Murut
This is the shot that finally spurred me to shoot my jewellery in that Diwali post. Confession. I really think and debate to death whenever it comes to sharing something personal on this blog. Its something I'm trying to get over. Working on it :)

You Might Also Like

5 comments

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images