Thursday, November 1, 2007

Thota Vaikuntham

Thota Vaikuntham's work grabs your eyeballs, captures your imagination and stamps your memory. Maybe permanently. His colours are primary, forms bold and his style distinct. That said, the feeling his paintings convey is decidedly equanimous, even peaceful.

It is my privilege to share with you work that I'd die to have grace my walls. Amen.

"Vaikuntham is known for his dark and voluptuous Telangana women and priests that include an interesting mix of tradition and colors has developed a style, which is quite earthy and reverberates with the rhythm of his native surroundings. The impact of folk culture and exaggerated theatrical performances that he saw as a child, is evident in the work which stems from mythological tales and personalities as well as common people of the southern region of India that feature in his work. With his bold figuration and using vibrant colors he creates an atmosphere of richness that imparts a special quality to his paintings."
"Feminine beauty is a big inspiration for me. But what motivates me even more is the nature of the people of my land. They are not just rustic; they are simple, innocent and rooted to their traditions. At the same time, they are determined and resilient. This spirit of ordinary countryfolk makes them endearing and that is the reason why I always try to depict them in my paintings. " - Thota Vaikuntham


Thota Vaikuntam born 1942 in Boorugupally, Andhra Pradesh did his graduation in painting from the Hyderabad University starting his formal career as an artist late in life. Subsequently he went to study at the M.S. University in Baroda when he also trained under the well known artist K.G. Subramanyam, a learning experience that he values greatly. His earlier career included work on film-set designs and teaching art and craft to children.

To see more images click here.

18 comments:

~ ॐ ~ said...

Very very super nice indeep....

Arch at Rang said...

I like the way the lines seem to flow from one element to the other and the lovely use of colour.

Thanks for sharing Vineeta:-)

vineeta said...

Thanx om, I just had to feature him, I love his work.

archana, I too love his unabashed use of colour and fine detailing.

Deepika Giriraju said...

Yes Vineeta you are right. The first thing that i was atracted was the colors used by the artist. They are amazing and beautiful. I love the flow of words used by you.
Thanks a lot for visiting my blog n keep dropping by for more updates.

Terri said...

These images are so bright and colorful and peaceful. I love them all. Thank you for stopping by my blog and for writing such a lovely comment when I wrote about my Dad's illness. Your kindness means a lot!

vineeta said...

Deepika, his work is so distinctly Indian & individualistic and colourful. its an amazing combination.
Will defintely do :)

vineeta said...

Terri, I was moved when I read your post.
Thanx for dropping by :)

Vinita said...

Great find.You put so much effort in to each and every post of yours. Every post is so unique, informative and "picture perfect." Even though I may or may not get to buy these paintings and put them on my walls yet they give us a vision as to how an artist may look at these folks from his eyes.

Vinita

vineeta said...

Vinita, you are back :)
Thanx for the appreciation. That's the way I would like to do it. There is so much beauty that I have been exposed to coming fom my choice of career- There is no better way to share it than this. Also to an audience thats actively interested. Thats a bonus :)

Anrosh said...

If the audience enjoys his painting, one can not even begin to fathom as he lays his strokes.

Anrosh said...

i seem to be eating my words in the above comment.

If the audience enjoys his painting, one can not even begin to fathom HOW MUCH THE ARTIST ENJOYS as he lays his strokes.

vineeta said...

Anrosh :) even i wondered till i read your next comment :) I agree, it is really a happy end to itself, any for of creative expression. Appreciation is a definite bonus, but the act of creation is a complete circle.

truedreamzz said...

Hey nice to see this...

His work is awesome... I have been following it for more than 15 years now... He is a Hyderabadi by the way... :)

vineeta said...

Hey, Yuga. after long :) I've been his fan from the time I set eyes on it for the 1st time too. I know he is a Hyderabadi- they are a rather creative bunch of people :)

DreamMaker said...

hi vineeta,

thanks for writing about one of my favourite artists. i have been a fan ever since i saw an exhibition of his way back in 1999.
now i have a couple of framed prints of his up in my home. and needless to say, i absolutely love them.

Anonymous said...

Awesome paintings. Can anyone tell me what is the price he commands these days. How much an acrylic on paper by Vaikuntham go for. have heard he has stopped painting in colour and hence it will be difficult to get anything but charcoals by him...Ravi Subramanian

Anonymous said...

tanjore paintings gallery

Anonymous said...

i really like use of rich vibrant colors in tanjore paintings ... see these Tanjore Paintings
images also