Jodha Akbar

Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Ok. I can't resist this one. I'm no movie reviewer but I HAD to write about Jodha Akbar. Not because its a sincere and stupendous effort to capture a bygone era, not because it is the love story of a King who had the vision to see a country united by more than just religion. But for smaller happy making reasons -the films setting: the huge and dazzling Mughal and Rajput Palaces and Aishwarya Rai’s Jewellery. I have drowned in drool, people, please see why. I saw this poster and decided I HAD to see the film- and Im not a movie buff at all. Just LOOK at that neck piece!!!!
Akbar (Hrithik Roshan) is shown wearing some phenomenal pieces of jewellery. Im sure that a coffee table book will follow with luscious pictures of the jewellery and the sets of this film- I will be the 1st to pick it up.


All the jewellery in the film (400kgs of gold- the wiki page will tell you) has been designed by Tanishq. The jewellery is primarily Rajasthani Kundan and Polki and Meenakari enamel work from the 16th century Mughal period.

The following are some pics I dug out because I was DYING to share with you guys (all of you in other countries, who won't be able to see it on a movie screen) something of the intricacy and magnificence of these palaces. These are pictures of Amber palace in Amer the maternal home of princess Jodha and Jaipur city palace shot by John Henry Claude Wilson. I have been to Amer and Jaipur but long before I owned a digicam :( I just have to go again!

Amber Palace, Amer.
The Audience Hall the City Palace-Jaipur-Rajasthan
Detail of enamel work Wall Painting details.

Wall painting, City palace, Jaipur.
Detail of fine mirror and plaster work in the Sheesh (Glass) Mahal,the City Palace Jaipur
The great news is that Nitin Chandrakant Desai the art director of the film is planning on opening the sets of the film (N.D. Studios, Karjat) to tourists. If that happens you know who will hop across 1st with her camera :)

You Might Also Like

50 comments

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images